Saturday, February 14, 2015

Steps Toward Change

        I've been learning some things lately. Sometimes I wish that I learned things a little faster or didn't allow myself to learn the wrong thing and then have to take time later to unlearn it and replace it with the right thing. But anyway...
       My mind is not always my friend. I've gotten to the point where any little thought or fear that pops into my mind can quickly grow to be an all consuming monster in my brain. It is neither fun nor peaceful and I know that I need to change it. And, slowly, slowly, God is bringing things to my mind, Steps Toward Change.

Step 1: Stand Firm
        Over and over I am coming across verses in the Bible that talk about standing firm. We need to stand firm in our faith and we need to stand firm against the enemy. Fear is my enemy. My husband reminds me that when fear starts growing, I need to stand firm against it. I cannot let it win.
       Ephesians 6:13
"Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. "

     Psalm 91:14
"Because he holds fast to me in, I will deliver him; I will protect him because he knows my name."

    1 Corinthians 16:13-14
"Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love."

Step 2: Hope in God
       When fear starts attacking my mind, sadly one of the first thing that goes out the door is my hope. Fear tells me that God isn't on my side and I start to believe it. But I can't let this happen. We need to hope in the One who gives us life regardless of what is happening.

     Psalm 42:5-6a
" Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,  my salvation, and my God"

Step 3: Be grounded in the Word
        All my life I have been exposed to God's Word. Growing up I memorized verses and knew that the Bible was my sword. I knew that I should read it every day but wasn't all that great of following through, but I have been realizing lately just how important it is. 

        Ephesians 6:16-17
"In all circumstances take up the shield of faith with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one. And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the spirit which is the Word of God."

Step 4: Guard Your Heart
       Here again, I have heard this one all of my life. But guarding my heart doesn't just mean keeping it pure from sins, I also need to guard it from fear and doubt. Because when you let those things in they squelch your hope, cloud your vision and take you places you don't want to go. 

      Proverbs 4:23
" Keep your heart with all vigilance,  for from it flow the springs of life."

     2 Corinthians 10:5
"We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ."

Step 5: Accept God's Love
I've heard this said before, but it just really struck me when I read this passage the other day.

John 15:9
" As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love."

  One of the definitions of the word Abide is "to accept."

 Step 6: Remember That Faith is a Choice and Not a feeling. 
     I listen to my feelings way to much. So, all to often, if my feelings tell me that there is no hope for me or that I am always doing things wrong, I tend to believe them. My husband has tried to tell me this time and again, but the other day it just clicked in my mind. I can choose to hold fast to faith and hope even when my feelings tell me otherwise

Joshua 24:15
"...Choose this day whom you will serve...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."

So there you have it. The steps that God has been revealing to me lately. I still struggle a lot, but I can do this, and you can too. Happy Saturday.  


“Often, it’s not about becoming a new person, but becoming the person you were meant to be, and already are, but don’t know how to be.” ~Heath L. Buckmaster

"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." ~Andy Rooney


       
    

No comments:

Post a Comment