Friday, July 17, 2015

Truth

     Good morning. How are you on this fine Friday? I've been learning lately, that God's word is the absolute truth. Now I have always known this, but it is becoming more real to me. One thing that I am working on re-learning right now, is that I don't have too--in fact I shouldn't-- believe every thought that pops into my head. All to often, a thought or idea pops into my head and I accept it as gospel truth. Now I'm not saying that God can't or won't speak to you this way. But I have gotten to the point that I believe it even if it is fear or even if it doesn't line up with God's word. And that is not right. In fact, the Word has something to say about it.

1 John 4:1
" Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world."

And

2 Corinthians 11:3-4
"But I am afraid that, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds will be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ. For if one comes and preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached, or you receive a different spirit which you have not received, or a different gospel which you have not accepted, you bear this beautifully."

      My love has been helping me to realize that this is not ok and I am trying to work on it. Though, like they say, "old habits are hard to break." So lately, I've been trying to read the Bible, all of the Bible. I so often find myself reading the same books and passages over and over. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I was not reading other sections because of it. As I start to read more and more, God's words and truths jump out to me and my mind is like, "Oh God does have something to say about such and such."

     So, God's word is the absolute and ultimate truth. So, when I find myself stressed, afraid, and worried and feeling trapped by the stress, fear, and worry I need to remember what  John 8:31-32 says

"So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine;  and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”

      God's word will set me free from the trap my mind has set, if I allow it too work in me. Another thing the Word tells me to do is resist the devil. I will get there in a minute. But first, 1 John 4:16 says, 

" We have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him."

      So, according to the Word of Truth, God is love. It then says, in 1 John 4:18 

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love."

      So, God is love and there is no fear in love. Therefore, fear is absolutely not God. And if it is not of God than it must be of the enemy. And so I come back to what I mentioned about resisting the devil.  

James 4:7-8
" Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded."

    Thus, if fear is absolutely not of God, then it must be of the devil. And if we are to resist the devil, we have to resist fear.  
     So today, find rest in the Word of God. Allow it to set your mind free from whatever has it in tangles. Resist when your mind throws things your way that don't line up with the Word. And finally, rest. 

Psalms 46:10
"Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." 

 "The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." ~Winston Churchill 

No comments:

Post a Comment