Friday, September 9, 2011

The Heartbeat

The other day I snuggled up to my husband, laid my head on his chest and began to listen to his heartbeat. A steady, rhythmic, beat... The beat of life. There in that place, with his arms around me and his heart gently beating in my ear, I felt so safe and loved. And it was in that moment that I realized something. The One who made me and knows my heart, loves me more than any person will ever be able to. The One who  has called my name is sitting there with arms open wide, just waiting for me to run into them, lay my head on His chest and listen to His heartbeat... Because it beats for me and for you. The heart of the Father is the pulse of life, it sustains us and keeps us safe. So often in this life we get distracted by all that is going on around us. Worries, fears, and the cares of this world will try to distract us, and it is when we allow this that we begin to panic. Because when our attentions to drift away from the heart of life, we lift up our head so that we can no longer hear His heart beat. Now the important thing to remember here is that even when we do this and allow worries to seep in, it doesn't mean that His heart no longer beats for us, it simply means that we have gotten distracted and have stopped listening. This can feel very frightening. But all that we need to do is take a deep breath, turn our eyes back to the One who is patiently waiting for us to remember that He is always right there, relax against Him and listen to His heartbeat... It beats for you.

"The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." --Hellen Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment