Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Brokenness

        I was in the parking lot the other day and I saw a sight that made me laugh. There were two little old ladies. One was in a wheelchair and the other was pushing her. The thing that struck me about this situation was that the woman pushing the wheelchair was blind and carrying her white cane. At first this seemed comical and a little bit dangerous.
       But as I've been thinking about this, it's started to make sense. Some people might look at these two women and scoff at their brokenness and their seemingly pitiful situation; and yet, these two old ladies have something that so many people seek--a true friend.  We are all broken in one way or another. For some it is a physical brokenness and for others it's a break that cannot be seen. This fact is not something that is meant to discourage us or make us feel bad about our situation, it is only to remind us that we need each other. I can just imagine the conversation of these women. The one might say, "excuse me, would you guide me? I'm blind." Then the other would reply, "My eyes are yours, but you are going to have to give me a push."
       Yes, we are broken, yes we have difficulties and struggles. But that is why God gave us each other. So that when I can's see the way you can give me some guidance, and when you are tired and feel as though you can't make it another step, I'll give you a push. If we had life figured out we would never have a need for the people that are all around us, and we would be missing out on a truly beautiful gift. The gift of friendship. So today, stop trying to hide your brokenness and be okay with yourself just the way you are. You may need help but you also have something wonderful to offer.


"In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit. "
 ~Albert Schweitzer


Proverbs 17:17
"A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need."

1 comment:

  1. How cool that they were still getting out and doing things even with their challenges!

    ReplyDelete