Monday, January 18, 2016

Those Days We End Up In the Ditch

     It is once again bitterly cold outside. But the sun is so very bright and the snow is so very white. I was driving home this morning and was thinking about how the vast white backdrop brings out the intensity of the other colors. The blue of the sky, the yellows, greens, and reds of the road signs, the green of the pines, and the deep red of the barn. Colors that are brought to the forefront and put on display against the white backdrop of wintery glory.
      It was while I was thinking these thoughts that I turned the last curve on the road before reaching home and promptly slid right into the ditch. I like to think I did it gracefully. So, there I was stuck in the snow a 1/4 of a mile from home. I was about to call Luke when a pick up pulled up and stopped. He asked if someone was coming and I said that I was going to call my husband but that he was at work. So, without skipping a beat he started digging around in his truck for a strap and chain. While he was doing this, I called Luke and explained where I was and what was going on. When I hung up the guy looked at me and asked if I was Luke's wife(I hadn't mentioned Luke's name). Turns out he was a contractor Luke often works with and he actually is building a home on our road. In no time at all he had me pulled out and I was back on my way. The whole situation put a smile on my face. The kindness of a stranger to stop and help and the coincidence of him not really being a stranger.
     We are known by the One who puts the colors in the world. Did you know that. When we find ourselves sliding into the ditches that are the problems and worries of this life, The Creator of life comes along, pulls us out, and calls us by name. He knows us and He knows the cry of our hearts. And even if you don't know Him, He knows you and He loves you.
     So that's my story and I'm sticking with it. Also, I like to believe that my Heavenly Father knew I was going to end up in that ditch this morning and sent a friend at the very right moment. God's cool like that.
      And then there is this little guy, Mr. Ephraim.
I went to visit this afternoon, it was lovely.

“Wherever there is a human in need, there is an opportunity for kindness and to make a difference.” ~Kevin Heath

No comments:

Post a Comment