Monday, October 16, 2017

A Barn A Baby and Daily Adventure

     I've been delighting in the beauty of life lately. The other day I was reading a good book in my dining room and I looked around at our home that we have created and just felt content. Life is good, and so very beautiful. I've been reveling lately in a feeling of joy, peace, and contentment.

We took a little adventure downtown this past weekend. Ice cream was involved and clearly Buirlen was too focused on it to smile...

There we go. 

I am so glad to have this brother of mine back in town... Buirlen appears happy with the arrangement as well.



    So I've been thinking about the comparing game lately. It's not good. I occasionally find myself comparing aspects of my life in an unhealthy way. And then I get stressed out because I don't match up and feel like I'm not doing whatever it is it as well as someone else, or that they may judge me for how I do something. And this is wrong, it leads to stress and discontent. As I was struggling with this awhile back, it occurred to me that as long as I'm living my life for Jesus and making sure that my life lines up with His word, well then it quite frankly doesn't matter if I do things one way and you do them another. Because, the ultimate goal in this life isn't this life, it's how we use our days to glorify the One who gave it to us.


This boy... He fills my life with joy and daily adventures. 


    Another little lesson I've been learning lately, came from Buirlen. He is in the stage where he generally wants me. He can be happy with Daddy and friends, but ultimately he wants me. If I hand him to Luke and walk out of the room in the evening for a moment, he doesn't care to much for it and lets us know. As I was thinking about this I realized that in his little life, he never knows what is going to happen next. He isn't old enough to fully understand what's going on around him. He never is quite sure when he's going to get put in the carseat and then when he's there, where he is going to end up.  
    Daddy is there, but he disappears to this place called work during the day and reappears in the evening. But me, I'm there for him 24/7. We pretty much spend every aspect of our days together, so when I'm suddenly not there, it's disconcerting. Now as he grows he will learn that even if we aren't constantly with him, that we will always be there, but for now life is the great unknown. All this to say, in this life we don't know what the future holds. Life is full of the unexpected and unknown, but there is someone we can look to as our constant. The One who created this life, who designed the growth of a baby and the change of the seasons is steady and unchanging. Make Him a part of your life, and the ever changing, unknown will seem less scary. He wants to be your constant.

The garden is all cleaned up and done for the summer. It's been a good run. 


Testing out the new(to us) lawn tractor. Luke is putting a snow plow on it because....  Winter, it's coming. 

This morning, I went out to the Farm to help with the new barn. The Lovely Keren Ruth and Ephraim were there as well as Abbi, Mara, and Megan. I feel like more would have gotten done if Luke was helping instead of me, but I did get a few screws put in(And that was about the extent of my help), several sheets of steel went up over all, and we all enjoyed the lovely weather. 

The Lovely Keren Ruth hard at work.


Ephraim thought the playpen was fun.

Did I take my carrier? No that would have squelched the creativity of using a bed sheet as a carrier. He liked it enough to take a nap.


 Measuring


And there you have it, life, lessons, and daily adventure.

"Personal growth is not a matter of learning new information but of unlearning old limits." 
~Alan Cohen


2 comments:

  1. I really like your thoughts on comparing. That is so true that each of us do things differently but as long as we are all seeking God's will and striving to glorify him that is perfectly okay if we do things differently!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think when we learn that we all do things differently (as along as it does not hurt anyone else) the world will be better. With children the psychologist say we should explain everything to kids. Whatever, kids are all different too. With the 3rd, she was very mommy dependent. When having to do stress tests for the 4th at the hospital she was NOT going to let me go and being tied to a machine her going was not going to work. Now, she could go to Martha's without me but I couldn't go anyplace without her. Kid controlling parent? Well, WE can't allow that so her brother would take her to Martha's to play and all was OK. I would go for my test and stop and get her with the car. I would get the 3rd degree look with her wanting to know where I was. I told her, she thought, and went off to play. After two more times she never really cared anymore that I left. Spoiled or learning mommy will return? It was a lot less stressful this way and it was our way. Sorry so long, just thought of this story with this blog as it addresses both issues. I think you are doing great, you guys are where you want to be. Denise

    ReplyDelete