Tuesday, March 13, 2018

A New Creation

     So, yesterday I made the decision to get baptized...Again. When I was about 10 years old I got baptized, the first time. I remember the day, it was a sunny, summer afternoon at a church picnic and the closest body of water was a gravel pit that had been filled with water at a nearby housing development. I remember being too shy to give a testimony like the adults who were getting baptized and simply nodding my head when the preacher asked me if I believed that Jesus was LORD. And that was that.
    But as I've grown and begun to learn more about baptism and what an important step it is in one's choice to follow Jesus, I began to wonder if I should do it again, this time from a place of deeper understanding of what it was I was doing. And let me tell you I turned it into a inner struggle and I let fear dictate. But finally, yesterday morning, I made the decision and so friends and family gathered at the church to share this moment with me.
     I know that baptism has become a rather polarizing topic in the church today. I know that I have personally struggled with it and it's importance. But I've come to the conclusion, that honestly, it's a silly argument. Jesus asks His followers to do it, so of course it's important.
     This year, I had decided that my theme was going to be "Growing in Grace." I wanted to learn more deeply about living each and every day in that beautiful grace that, The One who calls us by name, offers. I think this decision I've made is part of that learning. So there you have it...
   





Colossians 2:12
"Having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised with Him through your faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead."

Acts 22:16
"And now, what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized, and wash your sins away, calling on His name."

1 Peter 3:21
"And this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also, not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience towards God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ."

2 Corinthians 5:17
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new."

1 comment: