Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Legacy

This week I had the privilege to spend some time with a truly amazing person, A woman who has touched the lives of many. She has seen many years and now she is stooped and moves rather slow. Her hand has a slight tremmer and her hair has turned the purest of white. To many who do not know this woman, she appears like any other old grandma. And sadly, most would probably over look her. And yet, when she smiles there is still a sparkle in her eyes and a hint of mischief in her voice. And when she begins to tell her stories, it as if she is opening a window into the past. A window from which we can learn, laugh and remember. As I sat there and listened, I was blown away. She reminded me that there is beauty everywhere, but especially in the little things about life. Like fun trips with friends, evenings spent outside around a campfire, and those little annoying things that in hindsight bring tears to your eyes because you cannot stop laughing about them. She reminded me that life is precious and ought to be lived to the fullest. That the One who has given us life is love. And that the people in our lives are our most precious gifts. Another thing that I learned is that life is not always fair. That sometimes we will encounter great pain, and yet, there is always a reason to smile. If the life of this great lady were laid out like a road map, I'm sure it would be full of bumps, hills and valleys, twist and turns, unexpected forks, wide open fields of sunshine and most likely some clouds. But it is these very things that have made her into the person that she is today. So I've decided something. I've decided that I don't want to just ho-hum it through life. I want to hold onto my hat and say, "Let's get going!" I want to experience life and all the adventures that are out there. And some day when I get to be old and grey, I hope to still have a sparkle in my eye and mischief in my voice. I hope to someday leave a legacy.


"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forewards."--Soren Kierkegaard

"The Legacy of heroes is the memory of a great name and the inheritance of a great example."
      --Benjamin Disraeli

No comments:

Post a Comment