Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Refuge

Psalm 46:1
"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble."

Psalm 61:2-3
"From the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I,  for You have been my refuge a strong tower against the enemy. "

      God is our refuge. He is our safe place. He is our Peace. And believe me, Peace is a refuge you long to find when worry starts to attack your mind. I've read verses like the ones above many times. They are highlighted and underlined and marked with a little castle symbol in my Bible.
      But it didn't occur to me till a few days ago that the Word of God is that refuge.  I had been having a particularly worrisome day and so at the end of it I decided to try reading my Bible. As I read through the Psalms, verse after verse started to reach out to me and His peace began to flood in.   And that was when the thought popped into my head that spending time in the words of the Giver of Life is one of the ways that we can take advantage of this refuge He offers.
       Like it says in Ephesians, the Word of God is our sword--a fierce weapon to be reckoned with, but it is also a soft and warm blanket. The blanket that the little kid keeps with him at all times because it makes him feel safe and warm. Seek refuge in Him. Happy Tuesday.

“The all-victorious Christ is like a great rock in a weary land, to whose shelter we may flee in every time of sorrow or trial, finding quiet refuge and peace in him.”~James Russell Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment