Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Brat That Is My Mind

     I have been thinking lately about how my brain, is at times, rather like a young child throwing a temper tantrum. Kids have been known to throw down some good kicking, screaming, whining and complaining, tantrums. (Sorry to my dear parents for when I had my moments) Now I am not a parent, but I am a teacher and I have been around my fair share of kids to know that temper tantrums will come and when they do, the big person in charge needs to deal with it. Kids need to be taught that temper tantrums are not the appropriate response to any situation. Through discipline, a firm hand, and redirection, children have to be taught how to behave.
     Now, I said that my brain has its moments of being like that bratty kid. What I mean by that is when I allow worry, fear, or anxiety to take hold in my mind it starts to grow and kick, and scream, and whine, complain and generally throw a temper tantrum. Just like you can't let a kid throw a temper tantrum and get his way, you can't let your mind throw a tantrum. You can't let the fear have its way.
       People frequently talk about how one has to guard one's mind and keep it pure. However, I think we also need to guard our minds from doubts and fears. Really, each of us has a different bratty kid in our brains that we have to discipline, train and show the right way to go.
        I was discussing this whole concept with my love the other day and he mentioned how just like a parent can't give up even when he is worn out and tired of dealing with the tantrum, so we can't give up and quit dealing with the struggles of our minds, even if we are tired and feel like we are getting nowhere.
        I have spent way to much of my life giving in to the bratty, fear that throws tantrums in my brain. And because of that, the behavior has gotten worse. So now, I am working on dealing with it. It is tiring. Sometimes it screams so loud and I can't hear anything else. But, I really want to get to that place where the brat that is my mind becomes the well disciplined little brain that I have control of. Happy Thursday!

 2 Corinthians 10:3-5
"For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh.  For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ."
 
“I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.”~Mahatma Gandhi


No comments:

Post a Comment