Sunday, January 22, 2017

Birthdays, Shoes, and other Randomness

     Yesterday was My Love's birthday. The big 30. He spent a good chunk of the day working out in his shop, creating.

      This is the 7th birthday I have gotten to celebrate with him. The first one was his 24th when we were dating. He is such a good man. He has an unshakable faith, a gentle spirit, a kind heart, and an easy laugh. He works hard and he loves to learn. I am so blessed to be able to live life with him.
      He had requested spaghetti for his birthday supper and german chocolate cake(The only cake he has ever asked for on his birthday as long as I've been around). As I was cooking the topping, I had to smile to myself remembering the first time I made his birthday cake. The recipe calls for 6 egg yolks. Now my mother-in-law occasionally will just cut the amount of eggs and use the whole egg instead of the yolk or the white, because in some cases that is just fine. So I figured I would just go ahead and do that. Well, apparently german chocolate cake topping is not a recipe where this works. As I was stirring the cooking goo I noticed that the egg whites were beginning to "scramble." Scrambled egg and pecan frosting...YUM.  So yeah, I guess you live and learn. It turned out much better this time around.
     34 weeks and 6 to go! I was thinking the other day about how Baby Williams has already amassed a nice shoe collection. I guess it runs in the family, both Luke and I have a decent collection of shoes.
    Work boots for when he needs to go split wood with Daddy(from Uncle Peter and Aunt Holly) Red Converse for when he needs a little pizazz in his outfit(from Uncle Jordan) and tractor moccasins for all his toddling needs(From Uncle Travis, Aunt Anna, and cousins)

    On another note, here is some randomness that always makes me smile. I keep a running grocery list on the refrigerator. Occasionally, after the Lovely Keren Ruth has been for a visit, I notice that new and unusual items have been added to the list. Things like chocolate and polka dotted underwear have made it on there and most recently it was armpit diapers and an ear wax candle. I like that girl, she brings joy to my life. 

    January is closer to the end than the beginning and as I've been working on my goals of learning what it means to follow Jesus, change my perspective, and live a life that is not run by fear, I've begun to think about something. I do believe that I have an idol in my life and it needs to go. An idol is anything we set up in our lives that takes top billing over Jesus, and nothing and no one is supposed to do that. I think that in a lot of ways, I have set up "The idol of my own understanding," and I turn to it a lot.
      Fear has become such an ingrained habit in my life that I will all to often listen to every thought that pops into my head and believe that it is the truth, regardless of whether or not it lines up with what God's word says. Fear can be so strong that it convinces me that these thoughts are the truth and that I must follow them. But in doing this, I take what I think I know or what I feel(my own understanding) and raise it up to a place where it does not belong. 
     Proverbs 3:5-6 says, 
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean NOT on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight."
      Then Proverbs 28:25b-26 says, 
"But the one who trusts in the LORD will be enriched. Whoever trusts in his own mind is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom will be delivered."
    I don't want to trust in my own understanding anymore, clearly it's a foolish way to go. I want to learn how to lay aside what my own uncertain brain tells me and look to God's word for wisdom. I want to learn how to rest in peace when I don't understand something and trust that in time, God will show me what I need to know and lead me through, rather then let fear seep in and confuse the issue. The learning goes ever on. Happy Sunday. 

"Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% how we react to it." ~Unknown 

"You cannot have a positive life and a negative mind." ~Joyce Meyer 

1 comment: