Monday, January 16, 2017

The Chair

     My grandma has a chair, it is her spot. A big easy chair that has sat in pretty much the same spot in her and Grandpa's living room my entire life. Over the years the chair has occasionally changed, but the spot and the sentiment have not, that is Grandma's chair, and it is a good place.

Grandma, Lydia, and baby me 1989

Grandma, Lydia, and me 1999

Grandma, Baby Jordan, and me 1990

Grandma and me 1996ish

     I too am a creature of habit. Both Luke and I have spots that are "our spots" in our living room. I have a seat that I always sit at for staff meetings and teacher devotions at school. We have a spot at church and spots at the dinner table. It's nice.
     We all have our "spots." In a way, I think it may be a part of our desire for home, a place that is ours, where we are safe and comfortable. As I was thinking about this today, it occurred to me that in Jesus we find our spot. The One who designed us and our need for a safe space also designed the perfect safe space. A place where we can always rest in peace and security. In Jesus we can be confident that we are ok. In Jesus we can rest in peace. In Jesus we can relax, breath, and know that we are in the safest spot imaginable.
    Now in no way do I mean to imply that we can or should let our faith stagnate and remain unmoving. We should always be striving to grow deeper in our faith and our desire to know The One who created this life. But in that growth and forward movement we can remain ever steady in our "spot," that safe place that is Jesus. Rest in Him!

"The ache for home lives in all of us, the safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned."
~Maya Angelou

"God's mercy and grace give me hope, for myself, and for our world." ~Billy Graham  

No comments:

Post a Comment