Thursday, May 19, 2011

Dandelions

I think that Peter Pan was on to something, he never wanted to grow up. So often we are in a rush to get somewhere: School, work, errands, we are always trying to get there. We are in a rush for time to pass, we just want to get through this week, this month, this year. And sometimes, we are in a rush to grow up. We think that when we grow up we will finally have life figured out. But that just isn't true. As life goes on I have come to realize that I will never have life figured out and you know what, that is okay. I think that when we grow up we loose something. Kids have the ability to trust without all the answers, they possess an unwavering faith, and joy that bubbles forth from deep within. Kids have the ability to enjoy the simple things in life and realize what is truly important. Just the other day my little sister came into the house with an armful of dandelions. She firmly announced that she was saving them from the lawn mower. You cannot help but smile at this and yet think about it, she took the time to save her favorite flowers from destruction when we as adults would look at them and see a bunch of weeds. When she looks at  dandelions she sees beauty, summer and a bouquet just waiting to  be enjoyed. So you know what I want in my life? I want to never grow up. I know that I will never be eight years old again, thats not how it works, but I do know that I can keep that childlike joy in my heart. I want to look at dandelions and see flowers, I want to laugh at the silly things, and I want to have that simple unwavering faith. I don't want to ever grow up.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously." --Oscar Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment