Friday, September 4, 2015

The Namibia Adventures Part 4

    Namibia held a lot of adventures for me besides the school...(Part 1 and  2 and 3)

  I crossed the Tropic of Capricorn
October 13, 2008
"Pastor Eugen took us to see some old rock paintings. That was cool, but the trip itself was the most fun. Everybody but Cathi went. We rode in the back of a pickup. There was so many rocks. Massive boulder scattered all over the place. It was like God had randomly dropped His bag of pebbles." 


     I had the opportunity to go to Swakopmund with Amanda and her host family. I got to climb a sand dune and play in the ocean.
November 14, 2008
"Well today we set out on our grand adventure. Destination: The OCEAN! Amanda and her family picked me up at 1 pm and we were on our way. It was a very long drive. We arrived in Swakopmund just as the sun was beginning to set. So, we got to stand on the beach and watch the sun set over the Atlantic Ocean as the tide surged in over our feet. It was breathtakingly beautiful. "
November 15, 2008
"Today was awesome! The first thing we did was head to the sand dunes. They were absolutely amazing. We got to climb Dune 7. I made it all the way to the top. It was a lot of work. And, it was the weirdest thing because the sand was constantly moving out from under your feet. It is kind of like what I imagine walking on water would be like. Then we ran down. The sand was so fine it stuck to your skin like golden glitter. It is cool because Swakopmund is a place where desert meets ocean. We were driving along and out one window you saw nothing but sand and dunes and out the other the waves were crashing in."
Dune 7

  I got to go North to Bush Land.
December 16, 2008
"We got to ride on top of the combi(van), and that was so fun! The Bed and Breakfast were we stayed at had a pet lion. Apparently he had been a house pet for the first four years of his life. So, I got to run my fingers through a lion's mane. For the most part the whole weekend was a bunch of driving. But it was beautiful and I'm so glad to have gotten to see that part of the country. Throughout the weekend I saw: a lion, zebra, rhinos, giraffes, ostriches, cheetah, wildebeest, springbok, and a bunch of other antelope species. It was a grand adventure." 

Dung beetle


On top of the combi.



     I spent the new year in Cape Town, South Africa with Catherine and her host family. We got to go to the top of Table Mountain.
December 31, 2008-January 2, 2009
"New Year's day we went to Table Mountain. It is this huge mountain that is very flat on top. We got to ride the cable cars up. There was a big cloud covering the top so that you couldn't see much, but it felt like you were on top of the world. You would look over the side and just see clouds, and in the spots where it was clear the view was magnificent. We are now on our way back to Rehoboth. Woopie for 16 hour car rides.  

The ride up.
Standing on the top.


I got stitches in my head...
January 5, 2009
"Kristen, Mackenzie, and I were walking home. We were talking, and I must have been really into the conversation because I ran smack dab into a road sign. So, there we were on the side of the road and my head is gushing blood--Who runs into signs? I went between laughing because it was so ridiculous, and crying. We managed to get a taxi back to Kristen and Mackenzie's house then their host family took us to the hospital. So now I have 3 stitches in my head."
 My trip introduced me to a lot of great people. My team and supervisors, our host families, the people at the Church I attended, and the ladies at the school. 
This is Keziah, one of the girls I became friends with through the church's youth group. 

"We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open." ~Jawaharlal Nehru

No comments:

Post a Comment