Saturday, September 5, 2015

The Namibia Adventures Part 5

 And then, my time in Namibia began to wrap up(Parts 1 and 2 and 3 and 4). 5 months was almost over.

January 11, 2009
"When I got on the plane back in September(it feels like so long ago), I felt like I was setting out on a grand adventure, heading into the complete unknown. Now as I'm seeing myself at the end of this time here, I wonder if I've accomplished anything, and if I've changed. I hope so, but sometimes I just don't know."
February 7, 2009
"Wow, I can't believe it. The day after tomorrow I will be going home. It almost doesn't feel real. My last day in Rehoboth was good. I gave each of the kids a jar of peanut butter and a balloon and Amanda gave them coloring books, crayons, and gum. IT was fun but sad knowing that I will never see them again. It was also sad because you know that the kids don't understand that you won't be coming back. Stuff like that is just too hard for a 6 year old to fully comprehend. It was so weird to think as I was walking around town that it was the very last time.  I had to say goodbye to Catherin and Heidi tonight and it seems like goodbyes just never get easy. I just can't believe my time here in Namibia is over. When I think back to those first days here and all that's happened since it feels like such a  long time, but when I think of it as a whole, I just can't believe that it's already done--it feels as though it went so fast. For more than a year I had been looking forward to and working toward Africa, and now that it is over I'm like, 'Now what?'"
February 9, 2009
"Well, I am now sitting in the South African airport with Amanda. We have made it through one flight and all the scary checks and now we have and 18 hour flight in front of us. We met this cute old couple today from Texas of all places. She started talking and didn't stop. They were on their way home from visiting their son and grandkids in Windhoek. Apparently they are missionaries there. I tell you, you just never know who you will meet and where. I still can't get my mind around the fact that I'm going home."

     I have been home 7 years now and know that God did use those Namibia adventures. He used them to set me on a new course. Because of my experiences working in a tiny school in Rehoboth, Namibia, I decided that I wanted to become a teacher. Because I wanted to be a teacher I needed to find a college, which lead me to Northern MN where I met My Love. So here I am.

 “I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
~Douglas Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment